March 5, 2012

13 happy suicides.


Arthur: I've never heard so much rubbish in my entire life.
Merlin: Are you calling Gaius a liar?
Arthur: No, I'm calling you an idiot.
Merlin: What's that, then?
Merlin, Season 4, Episode 13 - The Sword in the Stone (Part Two)


I'd call it a series of happy suicides. I've waited for this particular season for almost a century now, (in my besotted mind) and to be able to finish all 13 episodes in 2 days should keep me sane for another year. In my humble opinion, season 3 is still by far the best of all but a lot of people may disagree. But it's really just an opinion, OK? Let's not cross swords because of this. We Merlinians/Merlinknights (whichever you prefer) should stick together.

Now season 4. Hm. There were moments in which I was like, 'Argh bencinya! I can't watch this anymore!' but I still watched them. Sick. There were lots of those moments in this season it almost drove me mad. Like when Lancelot's Shade came back and when Arthur was to marry another woman. I was like, 'I can't watch this!!' But it had been great, the whole season. Really. Arthur is still the hottest damn thing to have ever graced the TV screen (nobody is allowed to disagree, and if you do, we're no longer friends) - golden hair and blue eyes, uneven front teeth and British, bullying Merlin and wielding the Excalibur - I have to re-watch this. I seriously have to. Gwen is so pretty - the hair, the dress and the character development - and her intelligence is now more visible. More like a queen now she is. Then there is Morgana, gorgeous, gorgeous Morgana - now more powerful than before, better makeup - although it looks sweet rather than evil, and better dressed but not just not evil enough. Her lines could be so much better, so much more heartless and she should have hotter guys running after her too, but then again, if everyone gets the limelight...yeah, just what I thought. And Merlin. Merlin is just adorable. Speaks dragon like a boss. Doing magic like the biggest boss of all - eyes ablazed and all that magical jazz. You guys should have seen the scene when he was running in the woods and summoning Kilgarrah at the same time it was so incredibly sexy I thought I'd mentally die. But then again, multilingual guys are always sexy. So yeah. I kind of mentally died.

Anyway. Arthur and Guinevere finally got married (I'm so happy!) - as this version of Arthurian legend has been completely, beautifully messed up. Lancelot sort of died so I guess nobody would ever come between Arthur and Gwen like what happened in the original version, (I was so worried for the last three seasons, because if this version of Guinevere is still going to leave this particular version of Arthur for a Lancelot, then I don't wanna live on this planet anymore), Tristan and Isolde were smugglers (hell) and there's now a white dragon named Aithusa whose wings looked rather poorly designed. The producers should do something about it. Because I could have done better. No seriously. Now I'll ramble a little on my disappointments. Killing off Lancelot? Come on. He's freaking half the drama of the whole Arthurian legend! Lancelot shouldn't have died! He'd been such a wonderful friend for Merlin, the best so far, I'd even say he's a much better friend than Arthur is - knowing and keeping his cool secrets and being so kind to him at all times and everything else. He's the bravest, the most noble of all the knights of the round table, the best. And he'd already suffered enough emotional damage having the love of his life understandably falling in love with the inhumanely hot Prince (now King) Arthur. He deserved a character upgrade, people, not death! Like new gadgets and stuff. Merlin has magic and a dragon, Arthur has the Excalibur, Gwaine has the hairstyle of the century, and you know - this is Lancelot I'm talking about. If Merlin can keep growing silver hair and beard like it's nobody's business, Lancelot should have a girlfriend! He should be happy. He deserves to be. Man. And then there's a Lancelot comeback stage as a Shade with the stupid bracelet and a little making out with Gwen which drove Arthur mad enough to banish his future queen from Camelot and the series ended with Arthur still not knowing that Gwen was innocent. All these small but irritating unresolved matters just drive me crazy. Someone should tell Arthur that Gwen had always been loyal to him. He really needs to know that. And I don't hate Morgana, I just think that she should have caused more trouble if she really was planning to be the major bad guy in this show. She should also stop freaking out about Emrys. It's like she can't do a thing without Morgause. And oh, I hate Lamia. The b*tch. Glad she died a horrible death.

So, drawing the Excalibur out of the stone could be a lot better. But I was like, 'This is it. Cool as hell,' anyway. And the fighting scenes in the palace. Awesomeness. Definitely better than the last three seasons. But why Isolde had to die like that, I don't wanna know. My heart broke when she closed her eyes in Tristan's arms. It was so unnecessary but I guess things should really get out of hand when men negotiate matters using blades instead of heads. My eyes were slightly damp. It was sad. But the whole series was worth the painful wait. Everything in it. So much had happened. Good or bad. So this could be the best retelling of the legend, ever. I can only wait, breathless as I do, for another mental century for the next season, hoping that it would be great just like the previous four.

I could have rambled for another ten miles but I need to get back to work. The Northern Zone Language Week is coming in two months and I have a thespian fraternity to run, a drama team to train, books to read and a life to live. I'll be back soon to talk to you guys. I'm just sorry that I don't write so often anymore these days. But you guys know I won't stop, right? Hehe. Later then.

8 scribbleback (s):

Inspector Saahab said...

the white dragon seems to cooperate with Morgana ! argh, cant wait for next season!

inna hayati said...

I agree with Arthur is the hottest TV creation, so we are best friend rite? hehe...:D

Like this so much Nani. Tak sempat lagi nak tengok season ni sepenuhnya...terima kasih 'simplify'kan macam ni...teruja nak tengok jadinya.

mira said...

OHMYGOD! I'M A DIEHARD FAN OF MERLIN TOO! i have never missed an episode and I know just exactly what you had uttered in this blog post. literally, you have spoken my mind! I was quite freaked out about the part where Lancelot dies because according to the Arthurian legend, arthur and gwen did end up together but then, gwen betrayed him and ran away with Lancelot. well, since they decided to kill Lancelot off the series, it'll be such a happy ending for both Arthur and Gwen. to be honest, i was quite glad that Lancelot is no longer in between arthur and gwen's love but like you said, Lancelot should be given another girlfriend instead. lol. and about that cunt Lamia, I'm glad she's dead too! OHMYGOD! she was so freaking annoying! i'll stab her myself! haha :D

Nani Othman said...

sahab,
i think it's too early to draw such conclusion. rather controversial. hehe.

kak inna,
yeah we're best friends. haha. hottest damn thing to ever come up on tv. teruja nak tgk? wajiblah tgk!

miaazlin,
hello. never seen you before. =) welcome. hehe. ah well in the first place lancelot never came between arthur and gwen. like gwen said, once, there was lancelot but that was long ago. so lancelot mati ke tak mati, these two people are already in love..so the death is rather unnecessary..the writers are just denying the legend to make way for the modern retelling je. the other version tu mmg la logik gwen goes to lancelot because king arthur dah tua n she is still very young. but this one tak boleh la.

Anonymous said...

SO MUCH PRETTTY IN A PICTURE. OMG.
My poor shipper heart.

I SHIP MERLIN AND MORGANA SO MUCH!

that is all.
kthxbye

Nani Othman said...

anon,
haha. merlin and morgana could have worked. thanks for coming~!

Anonymous said...

Long live Merlinians!
Long live Merlinians!
Long live Merlinians!

Nani Othman said...

assassin,
hehe. yeap. long live merlinians!

Post a Comment

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. Your thoughts?